Monday, April 13, 2009

**Nam and the Bodia**

We had two days at sea/school between Thailand and Vietnam.  My parents came to visit me and we went to Cambodia!  It was so freaking hot I wanted to DIE!  The first night we went out with my mom’s friend, Joe.  Emily, Megan and Natalie came with us and we went to one of Joe’s favorite restaurant.  Some of it was really good but the squid made me want to barf, and I think we ate snails or something gross like that.  They were actually good though.  We went to some western bar after dinner.  It was like cowboy themed or something but we had a few drinks and mom and dad were being old and kept complaining about the speakers hurting their ears.  As if it matters for mom anyway since she is deaf anyway.  We made them take some blow jobs to feel better about themselves.  My daddy was so happy! =) We sang with the band and requested the most random songs ever!  But, we didn’t stay out too late because Kath and Jeff just aren’t party animals now-a-days! 
We left for Cambodia the next morning and travelled all day.  We went on a boat ride(mom slept the whole time) to see floating homes.  They were little beat up houses, all connected, and floating on water!  It was weird and I’m sure they loved tourist coming next to their houses to look at how poorly they live.  Later that night we went to an orphanage that was started by two alumni of Semester at Sea.  The kids were all older but I think they were lying about their ages the whole time!  One of the girls who is 15, and in 5th grade took me around and showed me her room.  She stayed with a bunch of other girls and they slept in hammocks on the 3rd floor.  They had no AC and there room was used for teaching and stuff like that too!  I ended up hanging out with her and her friend the majority of the night.  I think they were making fun of me the whole night, but who woulda known!?  They obviously noticed my sweating problem because one of the girls started fanning me!  When we were leaving the girls would not let me go!  She was seriously pulling on me and then just wrapped around my body so I couldn’t go anywhere.  It was really sad. 
The next morning we went to a Russian market and then the killing fields.  (The place where the Khmer Rouge killed at least 200,000 people)  We saw a large stupa with hundreds of skulls in it.  We saw the huge holes where they threw bodies in.  Some were buried alive.  They just trucked people in and would kill or torture them right away.  When they had too many people to kill they would strip them all naked and put them in rooms with no light so they couldn’t see anything.   It was crazy thinking about how recent it actually was.  There were literally still bones in random places.  We went to Security Prison 21 (S-21).  They left the rooms in the conditions they were left in and we saw cots and torturing devices.  Some of the buildings had pictures of all the people killed and there were a few skulls as well.  After that we went to Angkor Wat for 2 minutes!  We went back the next day and spent way too much time there!  Not to mention it was 114 degrees!  We went on a boat ride on the Mekong Delta.  The first place we went to dad and I took the most awful shot ever, I think it was sugar cane??  Then went somewhere else and ate lunch.  They had a real python and people watched them kill it and a few guys drank its blood and ate it.  Sick. 
That night we had a BBQ on the boat and my irresponsible father lost his pass to get on the boat so he couldn’t enjoy the great food we have on the boat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment